[postgis-users] pgadmin3 problem

Robert Coup robert.coup at onetrackmind.co.nz
Sun Jun 17 18:21:34 PDT 2007

Pedro Doria Meunier wrote:
> My findings about the pgadmin problem...
> (quick refresh: only when tables have geom fields does it hog all the
> processor time. and then not always...)
>
> Some tables (with geom fields) do show after some time. trying to
> scroll the list of records freezes pgadmin, however...
>
> I've tried to downgrade pgadmin3 1.6.3 to 1.6.2 and it exhibits the
> same behaviour...
>
> By now I'm starting to think that it's not a pgadmin3 problem but
> rather something that has to do with geos, proj or even postgis itself...
> I've installed geos-3.0.0rc4 ... does anyone have problems with this
> release candidate in conjunction with pgadmin3?
>
> I'm trying to rule out things here, so please be patient with me :)

How complex/large are your geometries? pgAdmin tries to put the
HexWKB/WKT in some sort of text field within the table. If its many KB
in size maybe the textfield is becoming "unhappy", multiplied by the
number of rows you're viewing. I know I often see blank text fields in
pgAdmin where the geometries are large, even though clicking and copying
the value puts the entire geometry onto the clipboard.

Rob :)