[postgis-users] Hibernate Tools and PostGIS

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Tue Jun 26 12:20:20 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have extended the postgis hibernate tools so that now when you reverse
engineer a postgis database the entity pojos are marked up with custom
geometry annotation (hibernate mapping) - this really wasn't hard and
just amended an existing patch - this will go into Hibernate shortly.

However I really need some direction now!

We have in the spatial domain

1) Geometry persistence and table generation
2) Hibernate criteria queries
3) spatial dialect (so spatial object queries)

The next logical step is to follow the JBoss seam generator examples and
auto-generate a web app as this is similar to the existing toolset in
hibernate tools.

However I need to know what you want (if at all you are interested), is
generating a web app (a la Rails) of use, or would you prefer a WFS /
GeoJSON generator or ANOther use for the entities mapped from a
database?  Perhaps a UML modeler which creates the pojos that then
creates the PostGIS db would be of interest?

I don't really use this for work, so some real direction from the
community would be appreciated (cc'd Chris Hodgson as I know he uses
hibernate in this way (but not this codebase)).

Thanks,

Norman