[postgis-users] geo-coding question

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Jun 27 08:39:29 PDT 2007

Lee,

The refractions team work a geocoder in pgsql procedures that assumes
some Tiger data has been loaded. There are occasional requests for help
on loading data, but I'm not sure if there is an explicit well defined
procedure for that. I think the PostGIS geocoder was written as a proof
of concept and I am not aware of anyone using it in a production
environment. OracleSpatial geocoder is a mature production quality
geocoder, but it expects Navteq data, or data that can get munged into
Navteq format.

The difficult part of geocoding is handling address standardization and
handling fuzzy searching. Once you can standardize the addresses the
query part is trivial in comparison. Much of the Oracle's geocoder is
written in Java in their application server.

-Steve