[postgis-users] Performance of Joins within QGIS 0.8

Christian Braun christian.braun at tudor.lu
Mon Mar 5 06:39:12 PST 2007

Dear members of the list,

I have serious problems with the performance of loading joins into QGIS.
The joins are made between spatial and non-spatial tables. It seems that
this depends not to the size of a join. Both tables could be really small in
size (t1: 10col, 20rows; t2:10col, 120rows).
Displaying or loading the join needs a lot time and the system do not react
any more. Once the join is loaded as a layer the working speed is gone to
normal and good. Queries on tables and listing attributes is working fine
also. Also the displaying of the data in pgadmin or on the commandline
interface is good and fast, so I guess it does not depend on indicies and
vacuuming the database.
I tested it with version 0.74 and 0.8 of QGIS on Windows and on Linux
(Ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10) machines. Also locally on the database server as well
as over a network connection to the server.

Anyone of you have an idea whats going on here?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl. Geogr. Christian Braun
Mail:  <mailto:christian.braun at tudor.lu> christian.braun at tudor.lu

Resource Centre for Environmental Technologies,
Public Research Centre Henri Tudor,
Technoport Schlassgoart,
66 rue de Luxembourg,
P.O. BOX 144,