[postgis-users] indexing images stored in PostGres

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:12:26 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> I'm curious about rasters in PostGIS also.  I heard about PGRaster at
> FOSS4G.
>
> What about these 'religious objections'?  Or at least, can you
> describe the pros and cons? or all cons ;)

Here is what I can think --

Pro db: Everything is in one self-contained "database"
Pro db: Database security and management automatically secures and
manages the images
Pro db: Indexing allow access to portions of the imagery
Pro db: Can store unlimited attributes about the image to enhance the
applications

Con db: Access to imagery possible only through the database
Con db: The database becomes bloated
Con db: The access may be slower than from the raw filesystem

Pro fs: Filesystem access may be faster than via the db
Pro fs: The db remains svelte
Pro fs: Images can be accessed by any application withoug going through the db

Con fs: Have to secure and manage the images separately from the db,
else they are accessible to anyone if they have access to the computer
Con fs: If the number of images is very large, some kind of
hierarchical directory structure will have to be devised to allow
quick access (most fs become slow after a few thousand files in a
directory)
Con fs: Can't access selective portions of an image... it is all you
can eat or nothing
Con fs: Can't store/access additional attributes for an image _with_ the image