[postgis-users] Installation Error

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Oct 4 07:16:16 PDT 2007

Doug,

Strange.  Not typing in the right password or typing in the password in
the wrong case is the only reason I can think why you would get the
below error.

As a work-around - what you could do (which I do anyway) is to set the
authentication to trust for localhost.  To do that do the following

1) You can do it from pgAdmin ->Tools -> Server configuration ->
pg_hba.conf
and add or check the line that says

host   all all 127.0.0.1/32  trust

Alternatively which sometimes I find easier - just open up the
pg_hba.conf file usually located in or wherever you chose to store your
data

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data

and  make sure you have an uncommented line (comment is #) that reads

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust

Then restart your postgresql service from services manager.

When you install - as long as you type in a real account and you are
directly on the server, whatever password you type in will be ignored
and the connection will be trusted.

Hope that helps,
Regina