[postgis-users] Polygonize questions

James DeMichele James.DeMichele at redfin.com
Tue Oct 9 15:56:54 PDT 2007

Hi,
I did not find the explanation of this question very satisfying:

> * Is there a way to convert a GeometryCollection returned by
polygonize
> to a MultiPolygon?  Is there any advantage to doing this?

Could you expand on possible ways of converting a GeometryCollection
into a Multipolygon?

Thanks.

-James DeMichele

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 03:04:36PM -0700, Charlie Savage wrote:
> Couple of questions about polygonize.
>
> * Why does it return a GeometryCollection instead of a MultiPolygon?

Because it's really a collection of polygons, not a MultiPolygon.
A MultiPolygon must meet certain constraints in order to be valid
(polygons must not intersect) and Polygonize doesn't try to enforce
this.

> * Is there a way to convert a GeometryCollection returned by
polygonize
> to a MultiPolygon?  Is there any advantage to doing this?

Check out the dump() and collect() functions.

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for open standards
  X     No HTML/RTF in email