[postgis-users] why is this poly invalid?

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Oct 30 09:02:29 PDT 2007

It might be nicer if it worked that way, but currently that's not the
case.  The justification is:
- geometric functions are only guaranteed to return correct results on
valid input (except for isValid, of course)
- valid polygonal geometries are by definition simple

In other words, the domain of isSimple is really just linear geometry -
there's no point in calling it for polygonal geometry.