[postgis-users] Problems installing PostGIS on Red Hat EL 5

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Apr 3 06:11:36 PDT 2008

--
>Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
>PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
>Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
>Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Devrim - yes it is.  It is a known issue (well the aggregate bug) and was fixed in SVN also using Geos 3.0.0 instead of the 2.2.3 would be better, but then that's up to debate.

Since SVN version hasn't been officially
released, I didn't think the need to report upstream.  Marc Cave-Ayland had fixed the issue and
I figured since he is in close connection with PostgreSQL maintainers, it would find its way up soon enough.  Nice Yum repository though.  Thanks a bunch for having it there. It did make life a lot easier for installing stuff and hopefully will make installing PostgreSQL less scary for new users.

While I'm at it,  you want me to write up more detailed instructions on how to use it (I could dump in our Planet blog for now).  I think for newcomers - and believe me I think there are a lot - coming from windows (and beginning to experiment with PostgreSQL on Linux) the instructions on the site as to how to use yum repository are very spotty.  Especially for people who barely know what YUM is.
You have to piece together several pieces of information from the PDF, the site etc.

Thanks,
Regina