[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Apr 3 14:07:46 PDT 2008

* Stephen Frost (sfrost at snowman.net) wrote:
> I think they may have also upgraded their pipe..  I got about 1.41MB/s
> (11 Mb/s) for the whole transfer.  It's about 22G all told.  I'll
> probably be trying to load it up into PG on one of our servers tomorrow.
> It was a bit over 4 hours for me to pull down off of their
> ftp2.census.gov ftp site.

Just to update those who might be interested- I've finished the data
load into one of our servers at work.  It comes to ~60GB on disk in
PostgreSQL/PostGIS with appropriate indexes in most places and whatnot.
Based on what I've seen so far, it looks *very* nice, especially the
hydrogrophy ("areawater").  It also appears to be pretty consistant
across the layers, which is also good.

If anyone's interested in the scripts used to load the data (they're
pretty simple, really), I'd be happy to provide them.

	Enjoy,

		Stephen