[postgis-users] TIGER/LINE Shapefiles SMID mapping

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Apr 3 14:51:47 PDT 2008

I've been looking at the TIGER/LINE 2007 shapefiles too and I notice that
they have a field called SMID  (Spatial Metadata Identifier)  in the edges
table.  I thought these were supposed to be defined in the edges.shp.xml
file or in the PDF help, but on closer inspection of that file I see this

- <attr>
  <attrlabl>SMID</attrlabl>
  <attrdef>Spatial metadata identifier</attrdef>
  <attrdefs>U.S. Census Bureau</attrdefs>
- <attrdomv>
- <edom>
  <edomv>1</edomv>
  <edomvd>Spatial MID is positive, non-zero number</edomvd>
  <edomvds>U.S. Census Bureau</edomvds>
  </edom>
  </attrdomv>
  </attr>

Well duh? I loaded all of Florida and there are 69 distinct values in that
and I have no clue what they mean.  Does any one by chance know where these
codes are defined?

Thanks,
Regina