[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Apr 3 16:18:00 PDT 2008

Jonathan,

* Jonathan W. Lowe (jlowe at giswebsite.com) wrote:
> Have you yet tried overlaying TIGER 2007 linework or census block/tract
> polygons over Google or OpenStreetMap tiles?  I'm seeing a good match in
> some areas but a significant shift (~50 meters) in others.  Thought it
> might be a datum conversion issue, but can't seem to find a match.

I hadn't looked at the linework too much yet or tried to overlay it.
I'm curious where you're seeing the differences though because I know
that Census is only about half way through their MAF improvment project
and I actually have some info about what has been done so far and what
hasn't.  It'd be interesting to see if it matches up.

There are a few places (Guam, Hawaii islands) where they actually do use
an SRID other than 4269, but my scripts don't yet handle that and I'm
guessing that's not what you're referring to anyway. :)

	Thanks!

		Stephen