[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Apr 3 17:59:43 PDT 2008

Stephen,

* Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
> I had an extensive discussion with some of the Census Geography staff
> about the Island provinces and Hawaii because I was trying to align
> Navteq routes over Tiger data and the Navteq routes were about a .25-.5
> miles east of the Tiger data in Hawaii.

Interesting...

> It turns out that they really have not idea what the "local datums" are
> that were originally used. I tried a lot of the local Island datums in
> the proj4 epsg file but could not find any close  matches.

In their documentation they talk about the datums used for these
regions..  Lemme go look up what they say..

Here we go:

North American Datum of 1983 in the 48 contiguous states, the District
of Columbia, Alaska, Hawaii (only Oahu Island within Honolulu County, HI
(15003)), Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Regional datums are used in the Pacific Island Areas (American Samoa,
Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) and most of
Hawaii.

The datums used in the remainder of Hawaii are as follows:  Hawaii
County, HI (15001), Old Hawaiian Datum; Honolulu County, HI (15003),
local astronomic datums for all islands northwest of 161 degrees west
longitude; Kalawao County, HI (15005), Old Hawaiian Datum; Kauai County,
HI (15007), Old Hawaiian Datum for Kauai Island and local astronomic
datum for Kaula Rock; Maui County, HI (15009), Old Hawaiian Datum.

The datums used in American Samoa are as follows:  Eastern District, AS
(60010), American Samoa Datum of 1962; Manu'a District, AS (60020),
American Samoa Datum of 1962; Rose Island, AS (60030), local astronomic
datum; Swains Island, AS (60040), local astronomic datum 1939; Western
District, AS (60050), American Samoa Datum of 1962.

The Guam Datum of 1963 is used in Guam (66010).  The datums used in the
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are as follows:  Northern
Islands Municipality (69085), Guam Datum of 1963 (Agrihan, Alamagan,
Anatahan, Gugan, Medinilla, Pagan, and Sarigan Islands) and local
astronomic datums (Asuncion, Maug, and Farallon De Pajaros Islands);
Rota Municipality (69100), Guam Datum of 1963; Saipan Municipality
(69110), Guam Datum of 1963; Tinian Municipality (69120), Guam Datum of
1963.

So, there's somewhat more information there than perhaps there was
previously, but I havn't gone hunting for, eg, "Old Hawaiian Datum".  If
someone does come up with the correct datums/srids/etc based off of this
(or whatever), I'd be happy to update my script accordingly.

	Thanks!

		Stephen