[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Apr 4 05:50:02 PDT 2008

Nick, et al,

* Nick Black (nickblack1 at gmail.com) wrote:
> The TIGER data in OSM has been corrected, which is why it is more
> accurate than the 2007 TIGER data.
>
> The roads seen in this view:
>
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.86537&lon=-122.26671&zoom=16
>
> have been edited by OSM users Speight and David Muir Sharnoff since
> TIGER was imported a few months ago.  Maybe next time the Census
> bureau will be able to rely on OSM ;-)

Based on the information I've got, it doesn't look like the MAF
Improvment project has gotten to the San Francisco area in general yet.
This was as of January, 2008.  My understanding is that there's hope
the MAF/IP will be done in October, which I would guess we would first
see in the 2008 FE release around this time next year.

I'm certainly curious about how hard it would be to work in such
improvments/fixes from OSM and freely available data in general into a
cohesive set of data for anyone.

	Thanks,

		Stephen