[postgis-users] SQLite and postGIS

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 7 15:34:20 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

I have started using SQLite for some projects, mostly just as a backing
store for manipulating some data. I can't help but think it would be
cool if it would be possible to get something like postGIS running in it.

I know you guys did some analysis of various databases a while back with
an eye to their spatial potential and suitability for postGIS like
inclusion - well at least that was my impression.

Did you look at SQLite?
Have you worked with SQLite?
Got any thoughts on this? Anyone?

I wish I could say I had a client interested in funding, but <sigh> I
don't. But I have found myself googling for info on it 4 separate times
in the past week, which is strange because I have no immediate use.

The use case for something like this would be to build a standalone
application or web service that has a SQL/Spatial back-end without the
need for installing and administering a postgres database.

As best as I can tell, the major hurdle would be whether or not it is
possible for a reasonable amount of effort to integrate a spatial index
system into SQLite.

Anyway, thought I would ask? See what other people thought?

Thanks,
   -Steve