[postgis-users] SQLite and postGIS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 11 20:29:45 PDT 2008

P Kishor wrote:
> On 4/11/08, Richard Greenwood <richard.greenwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are any of you driving a MapServer layer with Sqlite, and if so, would
>>  you provide an example layer definition? I could sure see a lot of
>>  utility in a spatial database that was somewhere between shapefiles
>>  and PostGIS.
>
> as far as I know, it doesn't exist *yet*. I am pretty confident that
> we shall see this ability sooner rather than later (a hunch,
> nonetheless, a confident hunch).

Puneet, Rich,

SQLite is already supported as a spatial database by OGR.  The caveat
is that in GDAL 1.5 it is just using a text column with WKT geometries so
the spatial performance is not great.

To use this with MapServer you would use CONNECTIONTYPE OGR and the
CONNECTION string would be the path for the sqlite database.  The
DATA statement should hold the table name be accessed.

There is some work going on to support SQLite in a more sophisticated
way.

SQLite is by no means a PostGIS replacement, but it can be a useful
as a single-file, multi-table spatial data format with SQL support.

Best regards,