[postgis-users] "Summarizing" a collection of geometries

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Mon Apr 21 15:55:03 PDT 2008

Dear list,

I would like to compute a "summary" of a collection of geometries
(points, linestrings, polygons, or any combination).

Here is the use case. I would like to summarize the geometry collection
and present this summary visually so users working at a small scale can
see, "ah, if I zoom in here, I can see more details about this geometry
collection".

The simple solution would be to compute a convex hull or bounding box,
but this fails if the members of the collection are far apart (users
could zoom into the middle and see nothing). In this case the summary
would need to be a multipolygon. But the trick is figuring out when to
split summary polygons into multipolygons.

Has this been done? Do any of you have suggestions or references?

It is very preferable to do this entirely in the database rather than in
external code. Embedded procedures are fine.

As you can see I am not entirely sure of my terminology, so any
suggestions there would be welcome as well.

Many thanks,

Reid