[postgis-users] Merge all polygons from a dataset

danny whatevar89 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 06:29:58 PDT 2008

Many thanks, Regina! Indeed ST_Union generated the polygon, invisible in
PgAdmin!!

It creates a nice layer when I open it in uDig.

However when I export it with pgsql2shp, the shape is unreadable by ArcView
with the errmsg: Number of shapes does not match the number of table
records.

Here's how I created the layer:

create table europe_contour();
SELECT addgeometrycolumn('db, 'europe_contour', 'the_geom',
32767,'MULTIPOLYGON', 2 );
insert into europe_contour(the_geom) values( (select st_union(the_geom) from
europe));

Then I generate the shapefile:

"c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pgsql2shp.exe" -u postgres -P password
-f europe_contour db europe_contour

Any suggestions perhaps on anything I've wrong?