[postgis-users] problem to transform coordinates

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Mon Aug 4 08:32:16 PDT 2008

Looks like you're mapping around the South Pole. The coordination
transform to 4326 there is going to be very inaccurate (question of the
week: what is the lat lon coordinate of the South Pole itself?)

http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/FieldMethods/UTMSystem.htm

suggest you should use "Polar Stereographic" rather than UTM in polar
regions (EPSG=32761 for the South Pole). But this may be small comfort
to you.

GL

Felipe Fedel Pinto wrote:
> SELECT ST_AsText(coord_22523)
> FROM coordsformiga limit 2;
> return:
>         st_astext
> -------------------------
>  POINT(7650.676 500.29)
>  POINT(7624.401 592.751)
> (2 rows)
>

> SELECT ST_AsText(ST_Transform(coord_
>
>     22523, 4326))
>     FROM coordsformiga limit 2;
>
> return:
>                  st_astext
>  POINT(140.139757378998 -89.9975973774248)
>  POINT(140.139757378998 -89.9975973774248)
> (2 rows)
>

> SELECT postgis_full_version();
>
> postgis_full_version
>  POSTGIS="1.3.3" GEOS="3.0.0-CAPI-1.4.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec
> 2007" USE_STATS
> (1 row)
>

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Obe, Regina
> <robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov <mailto:robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov>> wrote:
>
>     Felipe Fedel,
>
>     Can you send a sample of your data - results of the 2 queries below
>
>     SELECT ST_AsText(coord_22523)
>     FROM coordsformiga limit 2;
>
>     -- and result you get when you do
>     SELECT ST_AsText(ST_Transform(coord_22523, 4326))
>     FROM coordsformiga limit 2;
>
>     Also what does
>
>     SELECT postgis_full_version();
>
>     give
>
>     Only thought I have that could be wrong is your coordinates are not
>     really 22523 or there is a problem with your proj 4 install. The above
>     queries should pinpoint that.
>
>     Hope that helps,
>     Regina
>
>     ________________________________
>
>     From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
>     <mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net>

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 2749 TP 267 Ispra 21027 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission