[postgis-users] ST_Intersects

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Aug 5 04:02:55 PDT 2008

Erik,

I don't know why european_waters would be a single complex polygon?
Do you mean it is a MULTIPOLYGON in Postgis? If so, it is easy to
break it apart in single polygons. If it includes rivers, I can't
imagine why it
is a polygon in the first place. I would expect a LINESTRING (or
MULTILINESTRING in your case).

This explains, of course, why performance is not much improved. The &&
operation does not really affect that.

GL

danny wrote:
> Thanks Guido!
>
> The sample you gave performed slightly better: 304 seconds. I'll still
> have to wait a few months to let it run on all my data though.
> Yes, sitecode has a "normal" index, not a spatial one. Both the_geom's
> have spatial ones.
> The european_waters polygon is one single complex polygon, scale 1/100000.
> What's annoying is that when I do an intersect in Arc View it's almost
> instantaneous. Of course I don't get exaclty what I wan't but with
> some tweaking I can maybe get closer. That would be a great
> disappointment though. I was really looking forward to using ST_Within
> intensively!
>
> Thanks Jean David, no performance gain though by using it in the WHERE
> clause, where I intended to use it in the first place. I put it in the
> Select for testing purposes.
>
> explain select  sitecode from sites a,  europe_waters b
> where st_intersects(a.the_geom,b.the_geom) and a.sitecode = 'xxxx';
>
> "Nested Loop  (cost=0.00..461.71 rows=1 width=10)"
> "  Join Filter: _st_intersects(a.the_geom, b.the_geom)"
> "  ->  Seq Scan on sites a  (cost=0.00..453.43 rows=1 width=35764)"
> "        Filter: ((sitecode)::text = 'xxxx'::text)"
> "  ->  Index Scan using idx_europe_waters on europe_waters b
> (cost=0.00..8.27 rows=1 width=32)"
> "        Index Cond: (a.the_geom && b.the_geom)"
> "        Filter: (a.the_geom && b.the_geom)"
>

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Guido Lemoine <guido.lemoine at jrc.it
> <mailto:guido.lemoine at jrc.it>> wrote:
>
>     Erik
>
>     Try this, and see if it is any faster:
>
>     select  st_intersects(a.the_geom,b.the_geom) from sites a,
>      europe_waters b where a.the_geom && b.the_geom and
>     a.sitecode = 'xxxx';
>
>     I guess you mean that sitecode is indexed (not spatially indexed),
>     because it seems to be a varchar.
>     Both a and b should have a spatial index on the_geom, but I reckon
>     that is already the case. Also,
>     b (europe_layer) should not be a single polygon, but rather a set
>     of polygons.
>
>     This is lesson 1 in the PostGIS tutorial, more or less. In return
>     for my 2 minutes effort, you are
>     obliged to report the new performance report, so that future users
>     will benefit.
>     After all, I just saved you half a year...
>
>     GL
>

>     danny wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I'm wondering if it's normal to have a 420 second response
>         time for the following query.
>         A spatial index has been set on the spatial field (the_geom)
>         and other important fields (like sitecode). I've generously
>         tweaked the memory options for postgresql.
>         With such a response time I would have to let my query run for
>         half a year before getting the answer I'm interested in! :)
>
>         Anybody know how I can boost up the process or is it doomed to
>         always be so slow? The europe_layer is indeed a complex
>         polygon....

> [...]

Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission