[postgis-users] filing the holes in the swiss cheese?

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Wed Aug 6 08:19:19 PDT 2008

I am trying to do a query of cities that are contained by counties (in
Virginia, US), so that I can have a list that cross-references by FIPS
these relationships.

My query looks like this:

select b.poli1 as fips, b.name, a.poli1 as contained_by_fips, a.name

from poli_bounds as a , poli_bounds as b

where a.poli1 <> b.poli1 and a.the_geom && b.the_geom

and contains(convexhull(a.the_geom), b.the_geom)

and a.projectid = 1

and b.projectid = 1;

This works fairly well, but omits a handful of cities that are most
definitely within the boundaries of the county.

Is "convexhull()" the correct function for this?  Are my geometries
goofed up?

Thanks!

Robert W. Burgholzer

Surface Water Modeler