[postgis-users] Building SVN version of PostGIS on Mac OS X Leopard

Robert Rainthorpe rob.rainthorpe at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 00:34:37 PDT 2008

I'm using Kyng Chaos' latest builds of Postgres, GEOS, GDAL etc. on a fully patched Leopard machine with XCode 3.1 installed

I downloaded the svn snapshot of PostGIS from the PostGIS download page, untarred it and ran:

./configure --with-pgconfig=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config \
--with-geosconfig=/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/Versions/3.0/Programs/geos-config \
--with-projdir=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Versions/Current/unix \

(got a warning about DocBook stylesheets)

and then ran make and received the following error:

gcc -no-cpp-precomp -Os -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv  -bundle -multiply_defined suppress  lwgeom_pg.o lwgeom_debug.o lwgeom_spheroid.o lwgeom_ogc.o lwgeom_functions_analytic.o lwgeom_inout.o lwgeom_estimate.o lwgeom_functions_basic.o lwgeom_gist.o lwgeom_btree.o lwgeom_transform.o stringBuffer.o lwgeom_box.o lwgeom_box3d.o lwgeom_box2dfloat4.o lwgeom_chip.o lwgeom_geos_c.o lwgeom_svg.o lwgeom_gml.o lwgeom_kml.o lwgeom_geojson.o lwgeom_triggers.o lwgeom_dump.o lwgeom_functions_lrs.o long_xact.o lwgeom_sqlmm.o lwgeom_rtree.o -L/Library/Frameworks/GEOS.framework/unix/lib -L/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Versions/Current/unix/lib -L../liblwgeom -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lgeos_c -lproj -llwgeom -bundle_loader /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres  -o liblwpostgis.0.0.so
ld: in /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so, can't link with bundle (MH_BUNDLE) only dylibs (MH_DYLIB)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [liblwpostgis.0.0.so] Error 1
make: *** [postgis] Error 2

Can anyone give me a hint as to how to proceed? I'm only doing this build because one of my colleagues wants to use the JSON functionality, so if there's some other way of getting this on a Mac build we'd be very happy.

Thanks,

Rob.