[postgis-users] st_within too slow?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Sat Aug 30 05:59:34 PDT 2008

Pedro,

Try using st_intersects instead of ST_within.  In general I think it performs better than within and for point in poly will be just as good.

Yah Guido's suggestion would be at best give same timing since ST_Within, ST_Intersects have an implicit && call in them so they can limit the number of more painful _ST_Within, _ST_Intersects checks they actually need to do.

Hope that helps,
Regina