[postgis-users] pg_restore fails for postgis data dump

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
Wed Feb 6 01:01:40 PST 2008

> Hi there,
>
> I just wanted to restore a dump which I did, which includes some
> postgis data. But, it doesn't work and instead I get this error
> message:
>

> pg_restore: restoring data for table "boundaries_national"
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server
> closed the connection unexpectedly
> 	This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> 	before or while processing the request.
> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>
> The log shows this:

[snip ]

> What does it mean? The dump is from a 8.1 database, whereas the new
> one is 8.2. There is surely as well some difference in postgis
> version. Can it be linked to that? I am working with Leopard.

I have the impression that there are two methods for re-inserting a
(postgres/postgis) dump:

	1) pg_restore
	2) postgis_restore.pl lwpostgis.sql newdb olddb.dump -E=UNICODE >
restore.log

If my postgis functions are already installed in the database, then I
would go for the first solution, no?

But how to handle different versions of Postgis? Does it play a role?
How do I upgrade?

Thanks for any advice.

Stef