[postgis-users] Re: if i use postgis, is it true that i'll then have to worry about supporting only 1 database??

dnrg dananrg at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 01:39:27 PST 2008

> In order to do this, you may need some interchange
> software developed - for instance, if you have to do

> any "traditional cartography", how will you proceed?
> By converting your data to shapefile and then using
> ArcView?  How will you maintain / update your
> data?  Using QGIS, or will you have to buy say some
> kind of plugin software component for Arc*** so that
> you can edit the PostGIS spatial data?

ESRI tells me that, at the ArcGIS Desktop release 9.3,
you'll be able to edit PostGIS data as core
functionality. No SDE required. This will open doors
and minds I hope. Paul, any comments on that?

At ArcGIS Desktop 9.2, evidently, you can already edit
PostGIS data using the Interoperability extension.

Paul, will PostGIS ever have versioning functionality
for editing workflows similar to ArcSDE? Guess that
would pervert the data, and then PostGIS would "own"
the data in a way like ArcSDE does presently. Still,
many shops find versioning valuable for workflows.

Not sure how I feel about versioning. Just curious how
PostGIS developers feel about it--if it's in the
development roadmap / pipeline or not. And if not, why
not.

Dana