[postgis-users] performance of intersects(a,b)

Willy-Bas Loos willybas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:14:32 PST 2008

yes, of course. I use this example just to illustrate the case.
What i really mean is: as soon as one of the veritices has a "hit",
Intersects should return true and exit, no need to evaluate the rest (and
Disjoint should return false).

As i come to think of how this might work: the one whole polygon should be
evaluated against each veritice of the other. I guess that this means that
the number of vertices that have to be parsed is equal to N(a) x N(b). But
once you've detected that the first veritice in "a" intersects with polygon
"b", youre done (or should be).
I'm not sure if GEOS works this way (compare all 10000 vertices with all the
other 10000 verices), but the difference in performance between the previous
query and this next one, kind of suggests that is does. (added
pointonsurface(a)).

select 'yes' as foo
 from table1 a, table1 b
 where a.gid=4
 and b.gid=4
 and intersects(pointonsurface(a.the_geom), b.the_geom);

Maybe i should check the source code, even though i'm not a C programmer.
Sry, my time is limited.

WBL