[postgis-users] Re: [postgis-devel] Proposal for supporting Extrude, Tessel

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Feb 29 12:10:09 PST 2008

On 2/21/08, Dane Springmeyer <blake at hailmail.net> wrote:

>  You are right that this addition is not essential. As I found that I
>  needed these tags within my geometry elements I figured out how to use
>  Python and the Genshi Templating engine with XPATH to insert them. I
>  posted a whole page with background and an example of how I did this
>  on the PostGIS wiki (http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?PostgisAndPython
>  ).

Exactly so. Strictly speaking, PostGIS shouldn't be in the business of
generating anything except WKT and WKB, the application level can take
the rest. But realistically, utility functions for generating output
representations make buildings apps easier. Since these KML directives
are buried inside the geometry representations, we should make it
possible to fill them in.