[postgis-users] PostGIS Jobs - UK, Worldwide

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 10 23:32:07 PST 2008

I can say for Switzerland that Open Source GIS is more and more used in
conjunction with commercial GIS, in some cases, in governmental GIS,
people use primarily Open Source GIS.

Also, in many cases, people don't care which tools are used. If the
responsible persons have knowledge in Open Source GIS they are free to use
it, as long as the results are at least as good as with commercial GIS.

I think that Postgis together with ESRI and/or Autodesk (if FDO is
improved and mature) are compelling combinations. And it opens up the
possibility to use OS desktop GIS as well, such as QGIS/uDig, etc, for
smaller and simpler projects. All from the same sources. This, however,
requires that one doesn't use proprietary technologies, such as ArcSDE.
Fortunately, ArcSDE is expensive, which means that many smaller projects
can't afford it anyway. Another compelling combo is a OS desktop GIS, such
as QGIS/uDig in combination with GRASS.

Andreas