[postgis-users] Geocode opinions

phat-ass phat-ass at thinkheavyindustries.com
Fri Jan 11 17:19:25 PST 2008

Unfortunately, I have a few uses for this that I'd like to accomplish.
And that likely makes this a little more complicated than it should be
(that's me in a nutshell).

That data involved is fairly large, it's a list of all the registered
voters (and their voting history, gender, Etc.) in a fairly urban county
and all of the parcels in that county, with detailed data concerning the
parcels (type of parcel, value Etc.). I'd like to be able to serve maps
with this data, I plan to use R to do some geospatial analysis with this
and routing data (in conjunction with pgrouter and road data).

I considered a simple join, and I haven't ruled that out. The issues are
speed, and in the case of analysis, accuracy. I'm pretty new to the
geospatial analysis thing, so I'm kind of going in blind with that.

Would I take a big hit in speed if I just use a join? That's why I was
more interested in inserting the parcel geom into the voter geom.

I decided to use the parcel data for the geocoding because the address
data are perfect for geocoding, and it's quite up to date.

If any of this makes sense, what would people suggest would be better,
centroid data or PT_onsurface?

If it doesn't make sense, let me know, I'll try and take a stab at a
better description.