[postgis-users] Re: postgis-users Digest, Vol 63, Issue 10

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Jan 15 00:11:20 PST 2008

Brian,

st_distancesphere does not exists, indeed (neither one with double pp in
'spphere').
You could try distance_sphere(geom, geom)  instead.

Seems like there is not ST_ version (yet).

gl

Brian Hamlin wrote:
> Hi All-
>
>  I wanted to try the Spheroid distance function on some choice city
> centroids..
> but, the query is not working
>
> geometry_columns says:  t
> f_table_name worldcities ; the_geom |  2 | 4326 | POINT
>
> I can say for example
>   select the-geom from worldcties where city = 'fresno' and region =
> 'ca';
>
> but, when I combine it as in
>
>  select st_distancespphere(
> (select the-geom from worldcities where city = 'fresno' and region =
> 'ca'),
> (select the-geom from worldcities where city = 'chico' and region =
> 'ca') );
>
> error;  function st_distancesphere(geometry, geometry) does not exist
>
> adding a cast to type ::POINT says
>
> cannot caste type geometry to point
>
>   what am I missing?
>   thanks
>     -Brian

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 2749 TP 267 Ispra 21027 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission