[postgis-users] How to get the centerline of a polygon?

Eric Yu ericyu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:54:45 PST 2008

Thanks for your comments. The questions you asked are exactly what I faced
while I was searching for answers. It is easy to draw a centerline by human,
but I don't even know where to start. My initial idea was like this:

(Imagine we have a polygon, shaped like a rope, lying on the plane)
1. First we need to find the two ends of the rope
2. From the two "central points" of the two ends (if we can determine),
    we can split the exterior ring of the rope into two line strings.
3. Along the two line strings, we can locate the points at 0.01, 0.02, 0.03, ...
    with this method, maybe we can ignore the unmatched points on the two edges.

However, the first step is hard  (just as what you said about where to
"start" and "end").
I can't figure out a good way to do this.

In fact, the problem comes from here: I have a highway road network
(up/down line,
and ramp branching off, etc.) and I need to draw a simplified line
following the road.
So I first use ST_Buffer() and then union the buffers into a
rope-shaped polygon.
And there comes the centerline problem.

Maybe there is some other way to achieve this?

Thanks!

Eric