[postgis-users] Hints or tips on Large Intersect

Ben Jubb benjubb at refractions.net
Thu Jan 24 16:44:24 PST 2008

If you are comfortable with building your own version of PostGIS, you
could get the latest development version from the SVN repository (you'll
need to get the latest dev version of GEOS too),  and try using the new
'prepared' predicate ST_IntersectsPrepared.  This is a replacement for
the intersects() function in your code, that (depending on the
geometries involved) could speed up that test by 100s of times.  It
optimized for the case when the first argument is changing slowly, and
the second argument is changing every invocation.

What do you think is bottleneck in your code though?  Is it the
intersection() operation or the intersects() test?  It depends on the
distribution of your data, and the odds of any pair of geometries
intersecting.