[postgis-users] 3D support in PostGIS

Olivier Tournaire olitour at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:56:49 PST 2008

Hi all,

I a currently studying 3D GIS and I have a few questions about PostGIS.
I can find any recent or full answer on the web, so, I try the mailing list.

1. As far as I know, PostGIS is ale to store 3D data. Am I right ?
2. If I create a spatial index on a table which contains 3D geometries,
is it a real 3D index, or the objects are projected onto the ground and
the the index is built with this projection ?
3. Last, but not least, is it possible to have operations on geometries
in a 3D framework. For example, it I test if the point (0,0,50) is
within the polygon ( (-10,-10,0) (-10,10,0) (10,10,0) (10,-10,0) ), what
is the answer ? In other words, is the result obtained with taking into
account the Z coordinate or not ?

Best regards,

Olivier