[postgis-users] Analyze Question

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue Jan 29 12:10:44 PST 2008

As far as I know, this is due to having a geometry column in a table
where the field is null for all rows.  ANALYZE tries to gather stats on
the column, but there aren't any geometries from which to gather stats.
If you ANALYZE VERBOSE, you'll be able to tell which tables have all
null geometry columns.

ie.
kneufeld=# create table public.tmp (id integer, geom geometry);
CREATE TABLE

kneufeld=# insert into tmp (id) values (1);
INSERT 0 1

kneufeld=# ANALYZE tmp;
INFO:  analyzing "public.tmp"
INFO:  "tmp": scanned 1 of 1 pages, containing 1 live rows and 0 dead
rows; 1 rows in sample, 1 estimated total rows
NOTICE:   no notnull values, invalid stats
ANALYZE

Hope this clarifies things,
-- Kevin

Kevin Neufeld