[postgis-users] Which *.shp files is the TIGER GeoCoder referring to, and where do co99_d00 and pl99_d00 come from?

starbuxman starbuxman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:30:42 PDT 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to setup the TIGER geocoder but am new at this sort of thing:

I've already finished the bit where i run import/load_tiger.sh successfully.

I'm using the 2006se TIGER line data. I now have all the PostGIS (on
Postgres 8.3) and two tables Landmarks and CompleteChain (with a
whopping 66 million records!/ 25gb footprint!) that took 28 hours to
install.

Now it says to import the .shp files... Only question is, what shp files?

Here is the listing of the typical archive:
Archive:  TGR02164.ZIP
 inflating: TGR02164.RT1
 inflating: TGR02164.RT2
 inflating: TGR02164.RT4
 inflating: TGR02164.RT5
 inflating: TGR02164.RT6
 inflating: TGR02164.RT7
 inflating: TGR02164.RT8
 inflating: TGR02164.RTA
 inflating: TGR02164.RTC
 inflating: TGR02164.RTE
 inflating: TGR02164.RTH
 inflating: TGR02164.RTI
 inflating: TGR02164.RTM
 inflating: TGR02164.RTP
 inflating: TGR02164.RTR
 inflating: TGR02164.RTS
 inflating: TGR02164.RTT
 inflating: TGR02164.RTZ
 inflating: TGR02164.MET

Then, finally, looking ahead: I opened up the enxt step which is
lookup_tables.sql and it in turn tries to create tables while drawing
from tables called
   co99_d00  and pl99_d00  -- where do these tables get created?  How?

I know that the 2007 data is now using .shp files (or at least that's
my understanding) -- do I need to download those, as well? Does that
introduce the risk of data that's not out of sync? For that matter,
what do I do with that data in the first place?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you,

Joshua Long
http://www.joshlong.com/