[postgis-users] PostGIS WKT Raster

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:08:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Pierre Racine
<Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca> wrote:
> Paul Ramsey hasn't yet said my design was:
>
> -a "meme" (http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2008/06/x-my-l.html),
> -a "waste of time" (http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2007-July/002653.html)
> -"useless" (http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-May/015578.html)
> -that it was "pointless" (http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-October/017250.html)
> -or that I was a "fool" (http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-October/017239.html)
>
> So I conclude it's a good design!!! :-)
>
> He asked for a good design some time ago for raster in the database (http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-October/013628.html)
>
> Where is the clever elephant?
>
> Pierre

Not sure where Paul is lurking these days, but I wanted to throw out
the name of an application that can already do half of what Pierre is
looking for: StarSpan.

http://starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu/doku/doku.php

This is the tool I use when ever I need to fuse raster with vector
data. Since it can use GDAL/OGR datatypes, it is possible to run
against PostGIS data directly. I commonly use it to cross postgis data
with rasters stored in GRASS.

Cheers,

Dylan