[postgis-users] PostGIS WKT Raster

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Jul 14 15:12:20 PDT 2008

>>- If you step back a bit and don't even bother splitting up the
>>rasters into tiles, you can use an existing raster access library like
>>GDAL to work with serialized data.
>
> Users have the choice of splitting their raster or not. Splitting (which
> is synonym of indexing in my head) have the advantage of speeding up
> raster/vertor operations since most operation do not involve most tiles.

Rasters don't need to be indexed in order to efficiently access their
contents. Neither do they need to be split, unless you are planning to
store them a page-at-a-time in the database, which you aren't. There
is no difference between accessing an internally tiled 25600x25600
TIFF and 10,000 256x256 tiles, except that one already has a
ready-built access method and the other you'll have to write yourself.

P.