[postgis-users] contains syntax

jj.wag at gmx.de jj.wag at gmx.de
Wed Jul 16 03:18:09 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I have 2 tables:

1. table "landkreise" (polygon) with column "lk" (names of administrative
borders (polygons))
2. standorte (point) with column "lk" (empty, I want to write the name of
the administrative borders from the polygon-feature that contains the point)

When I use following select-statement it seems to work:

SELECT l.lk FROM landkreise as l, standorte as s WHERE
contains(l.the_geom,s.the_geom) = TRUE;

When I want to update the column "lk" in table standorte allways the same
name is written:

UPDATE standorte SET lk = l.lk FROM landkreise as l, standorte AS s WHERE
contains(l.the_geom,s.the_geom) = TRUE;

What is wrong with my syntax?

Thanks
Jo