[postgis-users] Compare SQL Server 2008 Spatial, PostGIS, MySQL functionality

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jul 17 17:31:13 PDT 2008

I'm not that any of the databases use the hipparchus mesh.
IBM Informix Geodetic might, but I think someone told me they
*didn't*, as it wasn't "all that".
IBM Informix Spatial has an R-Tree
IBM DB2 Spatial I think uses a quadtree
IBM DB2 Geodetic I think *does* use the hipparchus mesh

PostGIS uses an R-Tree, that happens to be implemented on the GiST
infrastructure, but it's still an R-Tree: same picksplit algorithms,
same tree structure. Just call it an R-Tree and leave it at that.

P.