[postgis-users] postgis on Debian 4.0

Adrian osmmail at ajw.me.uk
Wed Jul 30 15:57:23 PDT 2008

I'm trying to create a postgis database on a brand new install of Debian
4.0r2 (which I understand is the stable, rock solid no problems
version), using the following steps:

aptitude install postgresql-8.1-postgis
su - postgres
createuser <username>
createdb -E UTF8 -O <username> <dbname>
createlang plpgsql <dbname>

Everything looks OK until I do

psql -d gis -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.1-postgis/lwpostgis.sql

and then I get lots of error messages that start with:

psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.1-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:39: NOTICE:  type
"histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.1-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:39: ERROR:  could
not load library "/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.1":
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.1: undefined symbol:
vacuum_delay_point
psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.1-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  current
transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I would have though many people have
been here before me, but I can't find them with Google. It looks to me
like the 8.1 version of the lwpostgis.sql script doesn't match the
shared library in the 8.1 release.