[postgis-users] Cron / shp2psql

Gregory Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Sun Jun 1 16:49:45 PDT 2008

Something can't find the actually directory where your database itself is (the directory that has the pg_hba.conf file and so on).

How you set a ENV var depends on the type of shell you are using.

In a cshell for instance:
#!/usr/bin/csh
#
setenv PGDATA /data/postgres/mydb
<...>

In a kshell:
#!/bin/bash

export PGDATA=/data/pgsql/bronze
<...>

The error message is a bit confusing because the only programs I can find with -D being a directory are the pg_ctl process (which starts and stops the database engine and hopefully is not relevant here), postmaster and postgres (a stand alone backend that hopefully is not involved here either). I suspect that the psql process is invoking the postmaster which is then confused by not knowing where to look for the root of the data directories.

Greg W.