[postgis-users] How to tell if 2 geometries are spatially equal

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Jun 3 10:01:17 PDT 2008

Discussions like this give we audience members a great deal of insight,
thanks to all!

Given Martin's references, could the PostGIS manual description of
st_equals() be updated, so as to benefit all & sundry moving forward?

ie the two sections

ST_Equals(geometry, geometry)

    Returns 1 (TRUE) if the given Geometries are "spatially equal". Use
this for a 'better' answer than '='. equals('LINESTRING(0 0, 10
10)','LINESTRING(0 0, 5 5, 10 10)') is true.

and

ST_Equals

    Test if an ST_Geometry value as spatially equal to another
ST_Geometry value.

    SQL-MM 3: 5.1.24