[postgis-users] Re: Nitpicking empty geometries

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Thu Jun 12 14:51:31 PDT 2008

Rolf,

And *thank you* for pointing out a nuance of the SFS which I had
overlooked.  I agree, sec 2.1.2 indicates that GCs cannot be empty.

Now, I don't know why this restriction should exist - all the other
Geometry types can be empty, and there's no reason I can see that GCs
should be different.  In fact, you might argue that it makes even more
sense to allow empty GCs than the other types (if you think of GCs as
being essentially an arbitary list of geometries.)

Be that as it may, I chose to allow empty GCs in JTS & GEOS (ahem - thus
dramatically advancing the capabilties of the spec...  8^).  And I chose
to use them as the "null value" in cases where it was needed - such as
empty intersections.

I'm not sure why ST_geometrytype doesn't return GEOMETRY_COLLECTION -
this sounds like a bug, or at least a limitation, in PostGIS.

And I would say that you were correct to tell your class that an empty
geometry is very different to a "null" geometry in PostGIS.  Nulls have
a very special treatment in relational DBs, and the distinction between
"empty" and "null" is vital.  (When I refer to "null" in the context of
spatial overlay operations, I'm using it in a very different sense -
that of "empty set".  Confusing I know...)

I'm still liking the idea of returning an empty geometry of "least
dimension", so that it can be used in further computation... I might end
up changing JTS to conform to this (although when and whether this would
make it into PostGIS I can't say)

Martin