[postgis-users] ST_Contains - WGS84

William Temperley willtemperley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:49:22 PDT 2008

Hi all

Is there currently an accurate way to run queries like ST_Contains on
geodetic data?

My dataset is global and I may have to perform queries on a
continental scale, e.g. find all the points in Africa.  I don't think
I can reproject to the UTM zone in question, given the queries will
span several zones.  Is there a projection I can use temporarily to
perform queries like this?

I'm also slightly worried that the planar nature of the spatial
indexes could prematurely remove points from the result set - is this
the case?

Will