[postgis-users] Can postGIS database views work like .ARP project files?

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 19:02:37 PST 2008

Hi Dane,

I actually have two goals:

1) I have several adjacent .SHP files that belong to
the same logical layer (they are pieces of street
network in a city). Naturally, I want to put them all
on the same table to make a big layer of street lines.
However, achieving this goal is quite easy since
SHP2PGSQL utility allows you to add SHP files to
existing tables (as opposed to creating new tables).

2) But yes, my second goal is like you described: to
create a postgreSQL database VIEW (instead of table)
that contain polygon, line, and point data.

And yes, this database view is supposed to act like
project file. Thus, user just need to open the
database views to see the project, instead opening
project file(s) on her/his local hard drive.

See, the goal is to eliminate the need of project
files, and replace them with database views instead.
Database views are more organized because they are
stored in the database server, as oppossed to project
files that are scattered through each user's local
hard drive.

So how to achieve the goal? Can the geomunion function
help me create such view that contains polygon, lines,
and points?

Thanks,
-Kresh