[postgis-users] Raster suggestions?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3DTOPO.com
Sat Mar 8 04:38:41 PST 2008

Greetings,

We are working on modern topographic maps for the entire west coast
(about 20,000 7.5 minute quadrangles).

I am currently designing a strategy for serving our products online.

I plan to use PostGIS for the lines and text (that is a no-brainer),
but I am not sure what would be the best strategy for handling raster
imagery. Eventually we will have over 10 TB of raster imagery.

I have searched the archives, and it looks like that I would use a
'chip' table and the PGCHIP project looks pretty interesting. However,
I was not able to find a consensus on the best way to handle raster
data. Some seem to suggest geotiff tiles and others suggest a 'chip'
solution.

Can anyone offer me advice? I am on a shoestring startup budget, so
the simpler and more effective the solution, the better for me. I am
completely new to PostGIS, so please go easy on me! Any example
solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Jeshua Lacock