[postgis-users] Does geometry field type have a size limit?

Tom Glancy Tom.Glancy at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Mar 12 10:40:39 PDT 2008

I agree with Rob - pgadmin can hide the geometry.

Try:
select char_length(asText(the_geom)) from <TABLE> where gid = <MISSING_GEOM_GID>;
On a test here, the select returned 137999 even though pgadmin looked blank.

Or double-click the "missing" the_geom cell in pgadmin.

Regards,
Tom

>>> "Rob Tester" <robtester at gmail.com> 3/12/2008 12:32 PM >>>
Is it that the geometry is actually null?

Don't rely on pgadmin and the data view to believe the field is null. For
large geometries when viewing with pgadmin, they can appear to be null
because of the way strings are handled in the extensions and not show a
value in the pgadmin data view.

Does "select * where wkb_geometry is NULL;" Return the records that you
believe are null from the insert?

I have geometries with more than 1400 points stored without any problems,
but I use ogr2ogr to import geometry files.

Rob.