[GENERAL] [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 20 12:57:49 PDT 2008

John Smith wrote:
> guys,
> how many min. floating-points must a server hardware support for
> postgresql+postgis? does postgresql+postgis do much floating-point
> math to make a difference? can someone give postgresql+postgis
> application examples that will require high floating-points?
> thks, jzs

I do not think there are any limits along these lines in most modern
servers. They all have support for floating point math. If it is not
supported in hardware it is supported in software by the ANSI-C compiler
and libraries.

So the real issue becomes what are you trying to do and what are your
performance requirements? This would be more interesting to us and we
can probably provide better support if you explain what you are trying
to do.

-Steve W