[postgis-users] Do I need to copy postGIS objects to my new schema?

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 08:19:13 PDT 2008

> I'm planning to use database schemas to organize my spatial tables. For
> example, all spatial tables of GIS objects belong to Bali island is to be
> kept in a schema named "bali", etcetera.
>
> Problem is, when I created a new schema named bali, it did not inherit all
> the postGIS objects of the public schema.
>
> As you can see on the attached screenshot (I'm using pgAdmin III), the
> public schema contains all the Aggregates, Domains, Functions, etcetera,
> which are all part of postGIS functionality. Examples are geomunion function
> and earth domain, which exist in the public schema but do not exist on bali
> schema.
>
> Can I use bali schema to store postGIS tables then? Or should I copy all the
> postGIS Aggregates, Domains, Functions, etc, to the bali schema in order to
> make it work? And if that's the case, anyone know the easiest way to do so?

Postgis functions should stay in the public schema. No need to copy them.

You will be able to use them on the bali.* tables by either fully
qualifying the tables' name in your queries or by adding your newly
created schema to the search path (no need to qualify tables names
with the schema in this case)

Nicolas