[postgis-users] Another few questions

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 02:54:51 PDT 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008 19:46:31 Paul Tomblin wrote:

> What documentation?  In http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch06.html, all
> I can find is "ST_xmin(box3d)".  But experimentation shows I can call
> 'xmin()' with a geometry, and 'st_xmin()' doesn't exist.
>
> This is what I find so frustrating about the PostGIS documentation.  There
> are all these functions documented as "ST_*" but it turns out that in order
> to use some of them, you actually have to leave off the "ST_" part.  This
> function is defined as requiring a box3d, but nothing I can find in the
> docs actually comes out and says that if you have a method that takes a
> box3d, you can call it with a geometry and it will use the bounding box
> (ok, it does come out and say that for the && operator, but it doesn't say
> it's true in general).
>
> I'm really trying to read the manual before asking dumb questions, but the
> manual is horrible.

Yeah, I can see how using an older version with the live documentation can be
really confusing for a beginner. Maybe we need to keep multiple versions of
the documentation online with each release, so there is something like:

	http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/1.3/
	http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/1.2/

This assumes no API changes between point versions though.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland